Online Class: Payroll Management 101
with CEU Certificate*
have taken this course
There are many aspects that need to be covered when running a successful business. One of the most important aspects in any business is of course, payroll management. The members of the business involved in payroll management have unique responsibilities to ensure that the business operations can maintain momentum. In essence, the payroll management team is at the heart of any business.
While managing the payroll may seem easy enough, it is actually a complicated process involving finance and record keeping. Payroll Management 101 provides you with the information and guidance to become a key member of the payroll management team. The curriculum is designed to give an overview of all the core skills you will be required to attain in an easy to review and implement manner. Most importantly, this course provides you with the tools to quickly start using your new vocational skills in an operational environment.
The most important reason for any person to work is the "bottom line": being paid. For most workers, the simple fact of the matter is that, depending on their shift, they will turn up for work in the morning and leave in the evening; and, when the month is over, they will get their paycheck and their salary will go into their bank. It is perfectly simple. What few people give any thought to is that somebody puts the money in their bank account or cuts the check. There is, effectively, an invisible link between the work they do and the money they earn for it.
The truth is that that invisible link is actually one or more persons whose job is to ensure that a company's employees get their remuneration in full, on time, and without any need to request it themselves. It is far from automatic and actually requires quite a bit of work on the part of the people responsible for making the payments. These people are the payroll staff. Their job is, in some people's minds, an afterthought; but there is one simple fact that we need to keep in mind: If the payroll staff were not there, or did not do its job, then the very reason these workers are turning up in the morning would be thrown into question. If people did not get paid, there would be quite a lot of turmoil involved.
WHAT DOES THE PAYROLL DEPARTMENT DO?
The payroll staff is a vitally important part of any large company. Although the department name lends itself to a belief that its members are concerned solely with pay matters, the payroll department plays a major part in the human resources side of most companies. Often when a person is involved in some sort of scandal, his past employers get dragged into the media furor and respond to all questions by simply saying, "This individual is no longer on our payroll." The term "payroll," to a large extent, has become shorthand for the overall workforce of a company. In this respect, a company's payroll department has many responsibilities regarding the overall workforce. The department is not only important, it is essential. Not only does it have responsibility for seeing that the staff gets paid, it has a major administrative role in the company.
The payroll department needs to hold a lot of additional information on staff members, though. With the large variation of benefits and deductions that are connected with an individual's salary, the payroll department needs to know from month to month what a person is owed in terms of these benefits and what that person must pay in terms of deductions. These deductions will include taxes but may also apply to healthcare packages, student loan repayments, pension plans, and savings accounts.
- Completely Online
- Printable Lessons
- Full HD Video
- 6 Months to Complete
- 24/7 Availability
- Start Anytime
- PC & Mac Compatible
- Android & iOS Friendly
- Accredited CEUs
Lesson 1: Introduction to Payroll
Lesson 2: Record-keeping
Lesson 3: Employee Records
Lesson 4: Salary Payments
Lesson 5: Deductions
Lesson 6: Pay Stubs
Lesson 7: Understanding All Parts of a Pay Stub
Lesson 8: Tax Considerations
Lesson 9: How to Determine and Pay State and Federal Taxes
Lesson 10: Dealing With Outside Contractors
Lesson 11: Sick and Maternity Leave
Lesson 12: Pensions
Lesson 13: How 401K Contributions are Calculated and Deducted
Lesson 14: Dealing with 401K Contributions
Lesson 15: Preparing and Filing Form W2
Lesson 16: Dealing with Errors
Lesson 17: Payroll Software
Lesson 18: Employing Payroll Specialists
- Define payroll management.
- Describe the requirements for record keeping.
- Describe the requirements for retaining employee records.
- Summarize salary payments.
- Summarize deductions.
- Summarize payslips.
- Define tax considerations.
- Describe dealing with outside contractors.
- Describe handling sick and maternity leave.
- Describe handling pensions.
- Describe dealing with errors.
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
- "Considering that I was a payroll employee, this course was very interesting for me, the lessons are very accurate and above all I like that everyday topics are included, as well as mentioning that the role that we have is not easy. This course is well worth it." -- Antonella G.
- "This course was great! Every topic was helpful and went in depth of each subject. Some of it I already knew, but there was a lot of things I didn't know." -- Janis F.
- "This course was very helpful. I really appreciate the level of detail that was described in each lesson and video. Great layout, easy to navigate, responsive instructor. Just a fantastic experience all around." -- Thomas K.
- "This course was immensely helpful. Good information." -- Nikki W.
- "The course is quite comprehensive. It's helpful, and informative." -- Kazeem S.
- "In general, the course and the instructor were great." -- Anna N.
- "This course was very helpful in helping me to understand the in and out of the payroll department." -- Alicia J.
- "This course and instructor both helped me immensely!" -- Deanne C.
- "I really enjoyed the class as well as the feedback on all of the tests and assignments." -- Anjila O.
- "Love to learn and you just helped me a lot. Thank you very much!" -- Karen O.
- 29 hours 2.9 CEUs Human Resources Productivity Course Bundle $120.00
- 36 hours 3.6 CEUs Ultimate Secretary Training Bundle $150.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Delegation Skills $75.00
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Quicken Tutorial: All Versions $75.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Sustainable Development for Business $75.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Creating and Managing a Non-Profit Organization $75.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Personal Protective Equipment $75.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Lawful Employee Termination $75.00
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Financial Analysis 101: Planning and Control $85.00
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Understanding Financial Statements $85.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Operations Management 101 $80.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Retail Business 101 $80.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs General Receptionist $75.00
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Introduction to Logic $90.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Personal Assistant 101 $75.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Creative Thinking $75.00
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs Report Writing 101 $95.00
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Innovative Thinking $75.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Accounts Receivable Management $80.00
- 12 hours 1.2 CEUs Business Math 101 $105.00
- 3 hours 0.3 CEUs Business Credit 101 $75.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Managerial Accounting 101 $90.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Critical Thinking $80.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Small Business Guide $75.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Goal Setting 101 $75.00
- 14 hours 1.4 CEUs QuickBooks Online $80.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Business Branding 101 $75.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Habits of Millionaires $75.00
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Organizational Behavior in Business $75.00
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Payroll Management 101 $80.00
- 5 hours 0.5 CEUs Recruitment and Retention Strategies $75.00
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Decision Making Skills $75.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Debt Reduction $75.00
- 8 hours 0.8 CEUs Human Resources Management 101 $75.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Mindfulness in the Workplace $75.00
- 7 hours 0.7 CEUs Collaboration Skills $75.00
- 6 hours 0.6 CEUs Workplace Violence: A Guide to Responding and Preventing $75.00